Bang your head on the keyboard and see what appears on the screen.
Ignore Curtin-Parloe; writing about a screenwriter with writers' block would just be Barton Fink II.
------------------
The future is here:-
www.gwailofilms.co.uk
Printable View
Bang your head on the keyboard and see what appears on the screen.
Ignore Curtin-Parloe; writing about a screenwriter with writers' block would just be Barton Fink II.
------------------
The future is here:-
www.gwailofilms.co.uk
Mr Films, or can I call you Gwailo,
I was merely suggesting a method I've used. It's effectively the same thing as Mr. Flesh (Steel to his friends) suggested, to keep writing, even if it's crap.
That headbanging idea is good, though. Check out my new film "nmgrtm, fgkrg" http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
paul
You guys never cease to amaze me, apart from you Cavity, I figured that might happen, are you always this predictable.
Anyway thanks for the advice but Jeremy are you suggesting knocking out a first draft in one sitting?
I would suggest it, definitely, at least 30mins worth in one go.
Afterwards, read it and think "what is this crap?" to yourself. Then rewrite it completely, trying to remember the good bits and adding some more. From then you can just make adjustments for other drafts, or another complete rewrite if necessary.
It works for me!
Cheers
Paul
Well, I can't say that I've ever consciously tried this as a remedy, but I find I'm far more motivated and inspired when I read a bad book or see a bad movie. I suppose that it's the notion that - "hey, I could do better than that, and I just might well do it right now". Of course I find the opposite is true for great books and great movies ... quite a paradox for the movie lover come screenwriter!!! Might I suggest "Navy Seals"?
I would suggest reading some Edward De Bono books - 'Lateral Thinking', for example. An excellent book which takes you through different methods for coming up with creative ideas. Using these methods takes some of the randomness and staring-at-a-blank-page from the process.
He's written many books on the subject of 'thinking' - check him out!
It totally depends what you are writing... if you have writers block on a short film then its pretty much a lost cause... the best shorts are thought up in an instant and written straight down.
If you are writing a spec feature which guess you are then the best thing to do is leave it for a while... specs needn't be rushed. I write in bursts of say 1 week... then a month off.
You pick up the screenplay after a month and realise what you wrote previously was utter shite anyway.
If you are having trouble writing a scene then go lie down and sleep... tired and frustrated minds make shabby writing.
I've just joined a writing partnership with a comedian in the USA.. He is the principal writer and I a secondary (but i get $5000 or 35% of the script budget on sale or principal photography day which ever is the highest - hey... i made my first deal!)
As I am currently in USA for preproduction of my short I've spent my longest hours yet sat at a keyboard writing - 90pages of feature film in 6 days...
cowriting is a good thing as you can bounce ideas of eachother and totally critisize eachother.... also its great to tell an Emmy award winning actor/comedian that his ideas are shite!!
Chow
Paul
Stick a pencil up you noise and hum while thinking of pretty things for a hour.
BE CAREFUL insertion of the lead tip could be lethal if not supervised by a parent.
------------------
blackfrogproductions.com
The majesty of media
When I get the block, I hang out with atleast three of my friends at the same time. This should stir up interesting conversation which should make for some interesting writing.
------------------
"Do it, Doug!"
i often get writers block, just write what you can, leave it for afew hours, then read it through and improve on that then carry on